Page 31 - Thrapston Life April 2025
P. 31

GLANCE
AT THE
PAST
Eric Franklin looks back
This month I am looking at a local club
that was founded in 1908. Beginning life
in Chancery Lane on the site of the present
medical surgeries, Thrapston Bowls Club
started when workers found they had some
free time for leisure activities in the early years
of the 20th century with Saturday
afternoon and Sunday off.
A variety of photos from 1908 of club
members can be seen on their website
at www.thrapstonbowlsclub.co.uk. The
one at the top of the page is undated
but estimated to be from the early
1920’s and shows members standing on
the green in front of their clubhouse in
Chancery Lane. From left to right they
are: Unknown; G Savage; J Carress;
Coleman; Gilbert; Unknown; Charles Harris;
possibly Inspector Campion; (From the Gordon
Borrett Archive and a copy photograph taken by
Cyril Diamond during the 1960’s).
World War 1 curtailed the sporting calendar
between 1914 and 1918, although there is
a report of a bowls match between Raunds
Conservatives and Thrapston Bowls Clubs
on 13th July 1916, Raunds winning by 62-52
points.
The Club
moved to
the present
location in
Market Road
during the
1930’s
In 1925 they held their annual meeting and
dinner at the White Hart Hotel on the corner of
Chancery Lane, attended by over 50 members.
Mr. J. Carress, the club captain, presided and
was pleased that some of the original members
from 1908 were present. At the Annual General
Meeting, as well as appointing the
officials and committee, the treasurer
announced that the club had a balance
in hand of £1 19s 11d. Three years
later, the annual meeting recorded that
there were still two founder members
involved, Messrs. J. Carress and G.
Savage.
The Club moved to the present
location in Market Road during
the 1930’s. The above right photo is
believed to date from 1943 at the opening of
the new green on the site of the present carpark
(from the Clubs archives). Standing and mid-
speech is the club President Mr. J. Carress. A
full list of those present is on the club website.
In the background is the old Co-Op store on the
corner of Market Road and Grove Road. In 1959
Smith & Grace, the Thrapston iron foundry
company and largest local employer donated the
club some land which now forms the present
31

































   29   30   31   32   33