Page 146 - The Chapka 2016
P. 146

 Corporal A Heighway
Andy Heighway was born on the 15th March 1957 in Portsmouth. He joined the Army on 16th May 1977, and after his basic training joined the 9th/12th Royal Lancers. Andy held a number of appoint- ments within the regiment, his last post being on the Provost staff. During his time in the regiment he served in North- ern Ireland and Germany, and on leav-
ing the Army in 1984, he settled in the little town of Keith in Scotland, with Kim and they were to later to have a son Timmy. Andy had many a battle through his lifetime, but sadly could not manage to win his last one against cancer, and passed away at Aberdeen hospital, with family at his side, on the 23rd No- vember 2016 at the young age of 59. Andy leaves behind Kim, Timmy and a sister Ann and four other son’s from a previous relationship, they are Michael, Steven, Andrew and Jake. Andy donated his body to Aberdeen’s University of cancer research, in the hope that it will help others. He will be solely missed by all that knew him - RIP BIG MAN. ICH DIEN.
Corporal J B Ledgar
John Barry Ledgar died 9 January 2017 aged 74. Of Oakhill and formerly of Fen- ton. Much loved husband of Kym. Lov- ing Dad of John, much loved step - dad of Dee, Amy and Rosie. Treasured Grandfa- ther of Chloe, Kate and Isabel.
Lofty, as he was affectionately known in
the Regiment, served in The 16th/5th The Queen’s Royal Lancers 1962 - 1968. Recce Troop and ‘B’ Squadron. During his time in Recce Troop the Troop did a num- ber of Border patrols on the East/West German border. Recce Troop then ventured as far as Copenhagen, Denmark. Where he
represented the Troop against a Danish unit at Football.
Unfortunately, Barry sustained a serious injury and ended up in hospital for several weeks. Recce Troop returning home without him! In 1964 the Regiment moved to Aden, Bahrain and Hong Kong. During their time in Aden the Troop ventured into the Radfan. Doing patrol work, escort duties and plenty of guard duties.
Barry was promoted to full Corporal and commanded a scout car, but life there was not all rosy as he came down with malaria! Returning to the UK, having handed over to the 10th Hussars; Barry was posted to ‘B’ Squadron. He made Sergeant while he was at Warminister and in 1968 he decided to quit the Army and make his own way in life. Becoming a Pump engineer, sub-con- tracting to a larger company! His friend, Tony Jeffs described him as: “ He was a true gentleman and I was proud have served with him and was able to call him a friend!” He was a popular member of the Stoke Branch OCA for many years and this is re- flected in the number of former comrades that will be attending his funeral. We extend our condolences to his widow, Kym. His son John. Step daughters Dee, Amy and Rosie. Grandchildren Chloe, Kate and Isabel.
His funeral service took place at Christ Church, Fenton, Stoke on Trent on 3 February 2017, where the Last Post and the Regimental March was played and the Branch Standard was on parade! Followed by cremation at Carmountside Cremato- rium. Sadly, missed by many old friends!
Trooper J Fell
Jack was born on October 14th 1916 in Clitheroe, Lancashire, sadly Jack’s father died the day he was born from injuries re- ceived in WW1 and life for him was hard growing up without a father.
Jack attended St James School in Clith- eroe where he met his lifelong friend Gilbert Waite. When Jack was 17 he and
Gilbert decided to join the army. So determined were they that they lied about their ages saying they were 18.
Jack joined the Army at Blackburn on 8th January 1934 on a six year engagement and was initially posted to 9th (Queen`s) Royal Lancers at Tidworth. In 1935 he and Gilbert made the long journey out to India and joined the 17th/21st lancers, who were stationed in Meerut.
Jack loved the army life and his time in India. In 1939, with war approaching the Regiment moved back to England. Having mechanised in 1938, the Regiment trained in the armoured role and in November 1942 embarked for North Africa. Jack was to see action in both the North African and Italian campaigns.
It was whilst on home leave, prior to embarkation that Jack met his future wife Edna. They wrote to each other whilst Jack was away and when he came home after the war they decided to get married. They were to have two children, a son Neil and a daughter Val, they in turn had three grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
Jack trained as a bricklayer at college and was soon working in the building trade working his way up to site foreman building all over Blackburn where the family had made their home.
Jack continued to support the Regiment by attending reunion dinners at Blackpool every year, where he always enjoyed him- self. He loved cricket and football and was a lifelong supporter of Blackburn Rovers. He also loved dogs and always had a little pal by his side.
In later years Edna became ill with Alzheimer’s, Jack nursed her for over ten years until she sadly passed away.
Aged 95, Jack decided that he would go back to Italy accompa- nied by his daughter, Val to visit the graves of his fallen com- rades. Needless to say when locals found out that he had been present at battle of Casino, they were queuing up to buy him drinks and of course Jack had a great time.
Jack reached his 100th birthday on 14th October 2016 and a party was arranged at the Park House hotel in Blackpool. Unfor- tunately, Jack was in hospital and too ill to attend but his family and friends got together and celebrated his great milestone.
Sadly, Jack passed away on 31st October 2016, his funeral took place on 11th November 2016. A fitting date to pay tribute to a
truly remarkable man who will be deeply missed.

   144   145   146   147   148