Page 257 - STG18 Flip Book
P. 257

   Santa Clara
In 1854, Brigham Young sent Jacob Hamblin to befriend the Paiute Nation and his group settled around the Santa Clara River. In 1861, twenty Swiss families (con-
verts to the LDS Church) arrived to settle Santa Clara as part of the
Wine Mission. The grape juice was primarily produced for the settlers
because the water was quite unpalatable. It was the most successful mission and helped to sustain the others by selling raisins to travelers passing through. Today Santa Clara is the “garden spot” of Washing- ton County and continues a strong sense of heritage through its’ landmarks and annual Swiss Days Celebration.
  Santa Clara, grape vineyard, circa 1935
                  Utah State Historical Society
Ivins sprang up from the
need to bring water to
the Santa Clara Bench, by
means of an eight mile
canal, which was completed
in 1914. It ran from the
Santa Clara creek to the
bench and was built around
steep mountainsides and
deep ravines. In 1918 Ivins
Reservoir was built to store
the water. Ivins is a growing community near Snow Canyon and nestled at the base of the majestic Red Mountain.
There are several theories as to how LaVerkin got its name. It has been stated that LaVerkin is Native American for “Beautiful Valley.” That theory comes from handwritten maps from early trappers. From early on the creek was known as Beaver Skin Creek. Some theorize that because of poor writing and spelling skills, it deteriorated to LeaverSkin to Lavinskind and finally to LaVerkin.
The building of the Hurricane, and LaVerkin Canals had a lot to do with the establishment of the community. In order to bring water to the area, the canal was drilled through the mountain and coated with a new marvelous material called concrete to help the limestone and sandstone from washing away.
Hurricane was settled in 1906 and was named
by Erastus Snow, an LDS Church official, for the Hurricane fault and the storm he was caught in while visiting there. Hurricane was settled after the Hurricane Canal was finished to bring water. Arrival of the water meant families could start building homes on the bench. Within two years, about a dozen families had arrived. It became a great place for growing fruit and other produce. Hurricane is still one of the largest and fastest growing towns in the county.
  Utah State Historical Society
Fruit Packers, Hurricane, circa 1930s
In early June 1854, eight members of the Southern Indian Mission, led by Rufus C. Allen, left Harmony to visit Toquer, chief of the Paiute Indian band on Lower Ash Creek. In response to Toquer’s friendly reception, the missionaries promised to return. That promise was kept in 1857 when several families built log cabins near Toquer’s village.
Toquerville grew rapidly—from nineteen families in 1859 to forty-one families in 1864. In 1864, the territorial legislature created Kane County from the eastern portion of Washington County. Toquerville was designated as the county seat. Boundaries changed again in 1883, and Toquerville was shifted back into Washington County.
n Mill

   255   256   257   258   259