Page 29 - 2021 Spring Green Visitor's Guide
P. 29

SPRING GREEN
Spring Green is one of many small towns that developed thanks to the Wisconsin River. The neighboring town of Jonesville was another river town located across from Tower Hill, and consisted of a post o ce, two houses, and a store. When negotiations with the railroad for a Jonesville depot did not come to fruition, the railroad decided on a depot in Spring Green, then just a settlement of a few houses. The post o ce then moved to Spring Green and the Village was primed to grow.
The Village got its name from the surrounding township already called Spring Green, named for the local
land that greened up earlier in the Spring
compared to its neighbors. One portion of
land in particular, now owned by Edith Lins on Rainbow Road between Highway 60 and Highway 14, was  rst in the area to welcome Spring.
With the railroad now running through the
Village, the local farmers were coming in
from Bear Valley to Wyoming Valley to ship
their market animals, store and ship their cheese, and shop for supplies. Spring Green saw product from 32 local cheese factories come through on their way to market. In 1905, the Inter-County Fair was presented at Fairview Park with it’s main draw being the horseracing. One can still see the banked corners of the racetrack on what is now the Spring Green Golf Course. The park included a baseball  eld and multiple departments for draft and racehorses, carriages, cattle, swine and poultry. Grade school exhibits at the fair included map drawing, penmanship, compositions, pressed leaves and  owers. The  re department held a  re ladder race, and the fair hosted a large and lavish
parade. In the 1920s  nancial problems from bad weather, high premiums and bad roads for the fair to close and the fairgrounds were sold to the Village for golf course development.
The  rst high school was built in 1877 on an entire block of land provided to the Village by A.C Daley for churches and schools. The Catholic, Congregational, and Methodist churches were built, but were all destroyed by  re over time. The high school remained until 1908, when a new school was built at the current location of the Library and BMO Harris Bank parking lot.
In 1963, that school closed and the River Valley School District was formed serving Spring Green, Lone Rock, Arena, and Plain. The old high school served as a grade school until May 1989. In 1996 the Valley Bank Corporation purchased the property and donated half of it to the Village for a new library.
At one point, Spring Green had four car
dealerships, Ford was at the now Schwartz Insurance Agency, Nash was at the now Thermo-Dynamics, Chevy was where Je erson Plaza now stands, and Pontiac
where the Spring Green Chamber building stands.
Around the 1960s and 70s, local farming declined as roads improved and farmland prices increased. Commerce began to shift toward tourism as Alex Jordan opened the House On The Rock, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation began o ering estate tours, and American Players Theater opened an open-air theater. Spring Green continues to welcome visitors to the river that created it and the art and culture that sustain it.
VISIT SPRINGGREEN.COM
2021 GUIDE | 29


































































































   27   28   29   30   31