Page 102 - Kosovo Metohija Heritage
P. 102

Gojko Subotić
  Dedicatory Inscription of Patriarch Maxim (1655/1656–1674), west wall of the naos, Church of Saint Nicholas,
the Patriarchate of Peć, 1673/1674
The small, single-domed church of Saint Nicholas, leaning on the southern façade of the church of the Theotokos Hodegetria, was erected during the major construction works at the complex of Peć churches un- dertaken by archbishop Danilo ii during the third and forth decades of the 14th cen- tury. First envisioned as a chapel, with time it gained use as a separate house of worship. The original iconography from the 14th cen- tury was lost, and the church was painted anew in 1673/74 owing to Patriarch Maxim, as evidenced by the inscription on the west- ern wall of the naos. The wall paintings in the church of Saint Nicholas are the work of the painter Radul, who also painted the icons on the iconostas in this church, as well as several icons kept to this day in the trea- sury of the Patriarchate of Peć.

   100   101   102   103   104