Page 62 - WHO'S WHO OF DUDLEY ROTARY
P. 62

there because he sailed back First Class.)  During 1932 and 33 he served as a ship’s engineer
                  making numerous trans-Atlantic voyages on an Italian liner between Genoa and New York.  After
                  his period with Lloyd’s British, he moved to Bristol and joined the Bristol Aeroplane Company
                  plastics division.

            187  Ivor  LLOYD  JONES  (1894-1982)  (Inducted  17.2.1936;  resigned  19.3.1951  because  of  illness.)
                  Bank Manager in charge of the Dudley High Street branch of National Provincial Bank from 1935
                  to 1949, and who lived in Tansley Hill Road.  Little else is known about him because his name is
                  too common.  He appears to have been in Kings Norton before coming to Dudley and to have
                  died in Pwhelli, Caernarvonshire.

            188  Henry Alfred MARLER (1894- ?) (Inducted 16.3.1936; member at June 1939 but not June 1940.)
                  Haulage Contractor.  Director, with his younger brothers Joseph and Albert, in the firm Marler
                  Bros. Limited, heavy haulage contractors of Northfield Road, Netherton.  He left the club about
                  1939 after the firm moved to ‘Perry’s Lake’, Rowley Regis.  However he was also licensee of the
                  Bulls Head public house in Wollaston, Stourbridge from 1938 to 1949.  He was brought up in the
                  Blackheath area and at the age of 16 was already working as a ‘leather merchant’.  In May 1920,
                  aged 25, not long married and by now a motor engineer, he sailed to Canada with the intention
                  of permanently emigrating with his wife.  He was accompanied by his brother-in-law.  However
                  barely six months later the two of them returned home to Dudley for good.

            —     John Henry POTTER (1888-1941)  Director of Moule & Co. Ltd, Tyre Dealers of King Street, Dudley,
                  and a Dudley Councillor was approved by the Membership Committee c.4.1936 but does not
                  appear to have actually been elected.  Thomas Moule was already a member.

            189  Frederick  (‘Fred’)  George  COZENS  (1899-1985)  (Inducted  20.4.1936;  President  1945-46;  left
                  17.11.1952.)  Managing Director of Willmot Trucks & Products Ltd, Ivanhoe Works, Scotts Green,
                  Dudley and its associated company Tuglift Ltd, Waverley Works, Holly Hall.  He grew up in the
                  Camden area of London.  At 15 he started work as an apprentice with Adam Hilger Ltd, optical
                  and scientific instrument makers of Camden, continuing his studies in the evening at the nearby
                  Cleland Technical School and Working Men’s College.  His training was interrupted from 1918 to
                  early 1920 by War Service in the Royal Flying Corps.  He returned to Hilger’s for 6 months to
                  complete his apprenticeship.  Then he set up his own business, at the age of 20, as Frederick G
                  Cozens,  Scientific  and  Mechanical  Engineer,  making  and  repairing  optical  instruments  and
                  machines, developing patents, and maintaining plant and equipment for The British Metal Spray
                  Co. Ltd of Bennetts Hill, Birmingham.  In 1922, aged just 22, he moved to Dudley and became
                  Works  Engineer  with  Metallisation  Limited  of  Peartree  Lane.    The  firm  specialised  in  metal
                  spraying but also had a steel truck manufacturing department.  In about 1930 he joined the
                  newly formed Willmot Truck Company and remained in charge for the next 35 years.  For most
                  of this period he lived at Pedmore, Stourbridge but in 1964 bought Hope Court at Hope Bagot
                  near Ludlow, with its 28 acres of parkland, herd of Chinese water deer and flock of wild Soay
                  sheep.  He sold up in 1979 and died a few years later at Poole, Dorset.
                       Frederick  Cozens  was  a  prolific  inventor  with  numerous  patents  to  his  name  both  at
                  Metallisation  and  Willmot.    When  he  became  an  Associate  Member  of  the  Institution  of
                  Mechanical Engineers in 1927 his sponsors included F C Briggs, already a member of this club
                  (#35) and W E Ballard who later became a member (#233).

            190  Ernest Geoffrey HELLIWELL (1898-1958) (Inducted 20.4.1936; resigned 16.5.1938.)  Fender and
                  car and aircraft parts manufacturer.  He was a Director of Helliwell’s Limited, a firm started by
                  his father to make metal hearth fenders, kerbs and sheet-metal work at the Tunnel Foundry,
                  Fountain Street, Dudley and later also in Oakeywell Street.  From the 1920s the Tunnel Foundry
                  concentrated on motor windscreens.  He probably started with the company after war service
   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67