Page 44 - History of Parkside Football Club (1897-2017) Editied Version Completed_optimized
P. 44

Parkside Football Club 1897/2017
                By 1938, the Footscray District Football League had ten teams and Parkside Football Club never had
               the number of registered players that they had in the first four or five years in the Footscray District
               Football League. So they weren’t as dominant as they had been and also other clubs in the League
               became more efficient.

                I overlooked a match played in 1931 when a combined Footscray District Football League side played
               Footscray Football Club 2nd. 18. Parkside had five players in that combined side, namely C. Stendman
               (Captain), Bert Sharp, Jack Sainsbury, Bill O’Shannessy and Cyril Gration. Footscray 2nd. 18 won by
               one point. Footscray 2nd. 18 scored 10-11-71 to FDFL’s 9-16-70. Cyril Gration Best on Ground.”

















               Similarly, Kevin Hiller remarks that,


                “1934 was a year of upheaval with two sides, Riverside & Footscray Presbyterians withdrawing from
               the A Grade competition early in the season, forcing a redraw for the remaining six teams. The ten
               team B Grade introduced many new clubs including Victor Socials, Sunshine Methodists and North
               Footscray Imperials.

                West Footscray won the A Grade flag and Newells the B Grade.


                Most clubs were a product of local community groups, church groups or workplaces. In 1935, one of
               the most influential employers of the western suburbs joined the league with the formation of the ICI
               team from Deer Park.

               1935 saw Newport, Spotswood and Williamstown Districts apply to join the league from the VFA sub-
               districts, but they were refused. The three clubs officially disbanded. The FDJFL did accept new clubs
               into the competition in Newport United and Spotswood Citizens.

               They played on the grounds vacated by the disbanded clubs.

                Clip Springers Football club, which was representing a commercial enterprise in Braybrook, applied
               to join B Grade but was denied entry. St. Johns disbanded and Sunshine Methodists did not field a
               team. Footscray Rovers became Seddon and for the first time, but not the last, the league changed its
               name to the Footscray District Football League (FDFL).

                1936 saw the introduction of an Under18 competition with five clubs fielding teams; the North
               Footscray Imperials won the flag and went undefeated for the season. Two new clubs joined, in
               Kingsville and Footscray Tech Old Boys.”

               Hillier, Kevin 2007, History of the WRFL/FDFL, Common Ground, Altona, Vic



                                 Once a Parksider, Always a Parksider
   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49