Page 19 - WHO'S WHO OF DUDLEY ROTARY
P. 19

43    William PEARSON (1877-1935) (Elected 17.7.1922; President 1933-34; died 16.8.1935 aged 58
                                            whilst still a member.)  Chartered surveyor, auctioneer and valuer, estate
                                            agent  and  certificated  Bailiff.    Fellow  of  the  Surveyors’  Institution  and
                                            Fellow of the Auctioneers’ Institute.  He began work as a commercial clerk
                                            but  in 1902  set  up  business on  his own  account  with  offices  in Priory
                                            Street.    He  stopped  private  practice  10  years  later  when  appointed
                                            surveyor and valuer to the Inland Revenue, but resumed again in 1919
                                            after serving with the Royal Engineers during the First World War. The
                                            firm  expanded  and  he  opened  a  second  office  in  Tipton,  and  was
                                            appointed surveyor to the Midland Counties Mutual Benefit Society.  He
                        was one of the best golfers in the district, a member of both Dudley and Stourbridge clubs, and
                        captain of the Worcestershire  Golf  Union 1925-30.   He was  the organising  secretary of the
                        celebrated  Guest  Hospital  Bazaar  of  1925  which  raised  £14,000.    (After  his  death  the  firm
                        continued as William Pearson & Clarke, under the direction of CW Clarke, Rotary member #184.)

                  44    Matthew Biggar WALKER, FRSA (1873-1950) (Elected 17.7.1922; resigned 16.2.1925.)  Fine Art
                        and Literary Valuer.  Honorary adviser to the Dudley Art Committee.  Although having ‘The
                        Studio’ in Wolverhampton Street, Dudley he was more closely connected with Wolverhampton.
                        His career was very varied.  Son of a travelling draper, he was born in Dudley, and by the age of
                        18 was a school teacher.  He then set up his own business in Wolverhampton as a travelling
                        draper and tailor, following in his father’s footsteps, but returned to teaching of sorts, eventually
                        becoming a superintendent of night classes at Queen Street Chapel and a Sunday school teacher
                        at Red Cross Street school (close to Molineux stadium).  From the 1910s he became known as
                        an art dealer, collector, and connoisseur of fine art.  Between about 1920 and 1935 he was in
                        partnership with the Dudley auctioneer Ernest Davies (founder member #6 of the Rotary Club)
                        as Davies & Walker, but by the start of the last War he was director of a Wolverhampton drug
                        store and seed shop!  From 1922 he was closely associated with Wolverhampton Art Gallery as
                        a member of its management committee and advisor.  He helped build up its collections by
                        purchase, loans and donations, organised exhibitions, and secured bequests.  He performed a
                        similar role but on a modest scale with the much smaller Dudley Art Gallery.  He was a close
                        friend of the celebrated artist Sir Frank Brangwyn, and organised exhibitions of Brangwyn’s work
                        at Wolverhampton, Dudley, Liverpool, Sunderland and Hull, many of the items being from his
                        own extensive collection.  He also made many gifts of art works to Wolverhampton, Dudley,
                        Birmingham and other Art Galleries.  In 1928 he purchased the former Bean Car premises in Hall
                        Street, Dudley and offered them to the Council for use as a market hall.  (The offer was evidently
                        not accepted!)  He lived in Dudley until his marriage in 1900 when he moved to Wolverhampton.

                  45    George  William  WARING (1861-1933)  (Elected  17.7.1922;  break  in  membership  3.3.1930  to
                        30.3.1931; died Spring 1933 whilst still a member.)  Mining engineer, Land and Mine Surveyor;
                        Member of the Institute of Mining Engineers.  He grew up in Tipton, attended Wolverhampton
                        Grammar School and was apprenticed to a mining engineer in West Bromwich.  After obtaining
                        his Colliery Managers' Certificate at Sandwell Park Colliery (at the age of 23) he became Under-
                        Manager at Glebe Colliery near Stoke on Trent (1884-91) followed by Manager of Bispham Hall
                        Colliery  near  Wigan  (1891-95).  He  moved  back  to  Dudley,  establishing  a  private  practice  in
                        Grange Road and then (from 1900 until his death) in Wellington Road.  During this period he was
                        manager  of  the  Thornleigh,  Corbyns  Hall  and  Old  Level  collieries,  mining  engineer  to  the
                        Stourbridge Glazed Brick and Fire Clay Company, and was a member of the South Staffordshire
                        and East Worcestershire Mines Rescue Association.  He was a prominent freemason (member
                        of the Noah’s Ark Lodge, Tipton), a churchwarden at St James’s Eve Hill, and associated with
                        Dudley Choral Society and the Boy Scouts Association.  A long-time committee member of the
                        Dudley Institute he was its President in 1932.  His wife Elizabeth was one of the first two female
                        magistrates in Dudley (appointed in 1925).
   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24