Page 17 - Hello Philippines February 2016 'B' issue
P. 17
February 2016 / Fortnightly – No. 4 • UK & Europe Edition INTERNATIONAL /GLOBAL NEWS www.hello-philippines.com 17
S. Korea shutters joint industrial park after N. Korean rocket
SEOUL - South Korea on Korean reconciliation, Kaesong lies just space programme, but most in the
Wednesday announced the total 10 kilometres (six miles) across the international community see them as Korean managers currently working in civil and economic cooperation.
shutdown of a jointly run industrial border in North Korea. disguised ballistic missile tests. Kaesong had been summoned home. “But that line has now been crossed.
park in North Korea, saying Pyongyang “I’m afraid of the impact the decision
had been using it to fund its nuclear Home to 124 South Korean In the immediate aftermath of He demanded that Pyongyang
weapons programmes. companies, employing about 53,000 Sunday’s launch, the US and South ensure “the safe return of our citizens” will have on our sovereign ratings, our
North Korean workers, its closure Korea announced plans to start formal —a nod to what analysts said were economy and our financial systems,”
As well as depriving the cash- marks the demise of the sole remaining talks on deploying an advanced missile justifiable concerns of a possible he said.
strapped North of a much-needed major cooperation project between the defence system in the South. hostage situation.
source of hard currency, the move two Koreas. The reaction from the owners of the
was a powerful message of intent in That drew protests from Russia and The North Koreans “may detain one South Korean firms in Kaesong was
response to the North’s nuclear test last Major cash source. The government China, who fear the Terminal High or two South Korean nationals and one of outrage.
month and Sunday’s long-range rocket statement said Kaesong had provided Altitude Area Defence System could try to use them as a bargaining chip
launch. the North with 616 billion won ($560 target their weapons. for future negotiations”, said Lee In- While Minister Hong said the
million) in cash over the years— Bae, director of the Seoul-based Korea shutdown had been “unavoidable” the
During more than a decade of including 132 billion won in 2015 Moscow on Wednesday warned the Peninsula Future Forum. association representing the owners
operations at the Kaesong estate, Seoul alone. move could “provoke an arms race in called it “utterly incomprehensible.”
has never before shut it down -- despite Northeast Asia and complicate the Hong Hyun-Ik of Seoul’s Sejong
numerous provocations, ranging from Seoul’s unilateral move comes as the resolution of the nuclear problem on Institute think-tank said Kaesong in the “The government gave us no time
nuclear tests to the shelling of a South UN Security Council is still struggling the Korean peninsula”. past “symbolised the clear line between to help minimise our financial damage
Korean border island. to agree on how far to go in punishing political and military turbulence and before announcing the decision,” their
the North for its latest nuclear test and Kaesong—a vibrant complex that statement complained. n AFP/February09,2016
In a statement, the government rocket launch. produces labour-intensive goods
said it had been left with no option like clothing and kitchenware—had
but to take “extraordinary measures” The North’s main diplomatic remained largely immune to turbulent
to compel the North to abandon its protector, China, has been resisting inter-Korean relations.
nuclear ambitions. pressure from the US and its allies for
severe economic penalties. Even in 2010, when the South
The funds Seoul had poured accused the North of sinking one of
into Kaesong over the years “have Tokyo—which feels particularly its warships and imposed punitive
ultimately been wrongly harnessed in threatened by North Korea’s bellicose sanctions, Kaesong stayed open.
the service of upgrading North Korea’s moves—unveiled its own fresh
nuclear weapons and long-range sanctions Wednesday. The only exception was in 2013
missiles”, the statement said. during a period of heightened cross-
These included a ban on North border tensions when Pyongyang
As a result, the government “has Korean ships entering Japanese ports. effectively shut down the zone for five
decided to completely shut down” the “Third country” ships that have visited months by withdrawing its workers.
factory complex. the country will also be barred.
Hostage fears. Hong Yong-Pyo,
Set up in 2004 as a symbol of inter- North Korea insists its rocket Seoul’s unification minister in charge of
launches are part of a peaceful cross-border affairs, said the 184 South

