Page 526 - Kosovo Metohija Heritage
P. 526

Milan ivanović and Dragan jovanović
 Fortified castle of the Vojinović family, 14th century, Vučitrn
The remnants of the fortified castle, traditionally related to the noble family Vojinović from the 14th century, is located in Vučitrn, on the right banks of the river Sitnica, north-western Kosovo During the first decades of the 15th century it was the castle of the Despot George Branković, where guests were re- ceived and charters were written Due to its favorable location, Vučitrn was, both during this period and later under the Turk- ish rule, an important town, until the first decades of the 17th century The fortified castle, with several towers, still existed in the core of the town at the beginning of the 19th century The preserved structures include remains of ramparts 3–4 m high, with an imposing one floor tower of rectangular foundation, 6–7 m high, built of processed stone No research or conserva- tion works have been done on the fortified castle in Vučitrn
VRELA (istok): 1. remains of the monastery of Studenica Hvo- stanska; 2. ruins of a fortress, above the monastery; 3. traces of rock-cut dwellings on Crveni Krš.
VRELO (Lipljan): small village church erected after World Wari.
VRNICA (Vučitrn): church situated in the graveyard. VRTOMICA (in the Middle ages Vrtomirce, Kačanik): church of the Resurrection mentioned in 1434, probably located on the site called Crkva (Church) today.
VRŠEVCE (Lipljan): remains of an old cemetery on the site called Krst (Cross).
VUČA (in the Middle ages V’lčija Leposavić): 1. foundations of an old church (called Crkvina Kod Zapisa); 2. remains of an antique town (the locality called anine i.e. of anna); 3. remains of an ancient church and graveyard (the Vučanska church), below the Vrabac hill.
VUČITRN: the center of a medieval Serbian district and sub- sequently of a Turkish sanjak. according to Turkish censuses, this sanjak had 42 monasteries and 11 churches. Today exist: 1. the Vojnović tower, the remains of the Branković’ court (14th– 15th c.); 2. according to tradition the sites of the present-day Turskih bath and tekija in the Turkish cemetery were formerly occupied by churches; 3. church of St. elijah, erected in 1834.
ZABLAĆE (istok): large stone bridge on the istok river (con- structed by the Turks with stone fragments from demolished Serbian churches).
ZABRDJE (Klina): a mosque erected on the site of the old church dedicated according to tradition, to the Holy Savior (the Resurrection).
ZABRDJE (K. Mitrovica): locality “Srpsko Groblje” (Serbian Graveyard).
ZAJČEVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): ruins of an old church on the site called Vakaf and the locality “Stojanovo Groblje” (Stojan’s Graveyard) where an old Serbian necropo- lis was situated.
ZAKUT (Podujevo): in the 14th and the 15th c., mention was made of the churches of St. Peter and St. Nicholas; nowadays there are the ruins of two churches and a graveyard. ZAPLUŽJE (in the Middle ages Zaplužani, Dragaš): the leg- end that the village had a large church whose remains are situ- ated in the vicinity of the village, was noted down in 1861. ZASKOK (Uroševac): remains of a medieval church and a necropolis from the 10th–14th c. (a stone icon from the 14th c. has been uncovered there).
ZATRIČ (Orahovac): 1. yard boundary markers constructed over the foundations of an old church (in the vicinity of the village mosque); 2. remains of the medieval fortress of Zatrić, south of the village.
ZBORCE (Uroševac): the site formerly occupied by an old cemetery is known in the village.
ZEBINCE (Priština): old graveyard; in the 15th c., the church of St. Nicholas was located near the village.
ZEČEVIĆ (K. Mitrovica): 1. new church erected on the foun- dations of an older one; 2. remains of a church in the old grave- yard, on the site called Kamenjača.
ZEMANICA (Leposavić): the site formerly occupied by old church ruins and an old Serbian graveyard.
ZJUM (formerly Subi or Zumbi, Prizren): 1. ruins of a former church above the Limez mahala on the site called Crkva (Church); 2. ruins of the church of St. George, above a small lake; 3. old graveyard in the Hurdi wood; 4. an old grave in the village, called the Priest’s grave; 5. Catholic church of the Moth- er of God.
ZLATARE (in Kolašin upon the ibar): remains of an old church and several old graves in the village cemetery.
ZLATARE (Priština): old graveyard.
ZLATARE (Uroševac): abandoned church with an old grave- yard existed in the past.
ZLAŠ (Priština): in the 15th c., mention is made of a monas- tery with the church of St. Luke.
ZLI POTOK (Dragaš): in the hamlet of Ogradje, the ruins of the church of the Transfiguration with a graveyard stood on the site called Zborište (a surviving tombstone in the form of a stećak with a Cyrillic inscription).
ZLOKUĆANE (Klina): 1. old cemetery; 2. large Catholic church erected at a recent time.
ZLOKUĆANE (Lipljan): in the census of 1487, mention is made of the monastery in the village surroundings, south of the village is an old graveyard; the microtoponym “Crkvena Livada” (Church Meadow) is recorded in the village. ZLOPEK (Peć): remains of an old church near the village on the site called Crkvište (ruins of a church); an old graveyard situated to the south-west of it.
ZOČIŠTE (Orahovac): 1. Zočište monastery with the church of the Holy anargyroi (remains of frescos) mentioned in a

   524   525   526   527   528