Page 5 - GSPS_Driving Tour Book
P. 5
Paul Simpson, his family owning the Glenn Springs company and hotel, built this
Camp Hill 7215 Highway 215
house in 1911. It was willed to Calvary Episcopal Church who later sold the property.
British Army Major Patrick Ferguson and his loyalist militia camped on this site in 1780, prior to their defeat by Patriots In 1979, Dr. and Mrs. Harold Sears bought the home from Mary Margaret Lancaster,
at the battle of Kings Mountain. The site has been called Camp Hill since that time. Around 1835, Benjamin Wofford and began a major restoration doing most of the work themselves. In 2002, Drs.
built this Greek Revival style house for Dr. John Winsmith. Originally a simple upcountry farmhouse, by 1850, two 11 Melinda and Rick Moretz bought the home and completed additional restorations. Of
wings, a doctor's office and a plantation office were added. Later, a pediment faced with fish-scale shingles popular at particular interest is the beautiful staircase, built-in cupboard and pie safe, all crafted
that time, was added to the porch. Instead of columns, these are square pillars, and inside, wooden mantels feature hand by carpenters from New York when the house was built. Today owned by the
7 carved swirling rosettes and sunbursts. The massive English boxwood garden was planted for Dr. Winsmith's Charleston Paul Simpson House Melotte family, the house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
bride Catherine Faber. In 1882 Confederate veteran Elias Sanford Smith and wife Mary Wallace Poole Smith, a charter (Melotte House)
of the Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church, purchased the house and 975 acres of land from Winsmith's daughter. Elias 3590 Glenn Springs Rd.
Smith's son Dr. Albert Clifton Smith did woodworking in the mud-chinked former slave cabin behind the house and
made some of the furniture still used in the house today. The original kitchen was demolished in the 1940s and one of
the verandas was enclosed to serve as a kitchen. Since the purchase in 1882, Camp Hill has been home to six
generations of the Smith family. Camp Hill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Casper Simpson, one of the Simpson brothers associated with the Glenn Springs
Company and hotel, built this frame bungalow style home in 1911. The front door
12 with window facings on both sides was imported from England during construction
of the house. Purchased by Earl Thornton in the 1940s, and still owned by the
Thornton family, the house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Casper Simpson House
(Thornton Home)
McIIwaine Cabin (Southland Farm) 510 Sulphur Springs Rd. 3591 Glenn Springs Rd.
8 Around 1751 James McIlwaine and his party of seven or eight Scots-Irish families settled in the Glenn Springs area. In January 1848 when J.D. McCullough came to Glenn Springs as principal of the
McIlwaine built a log structure to live in until he completed his two-story log house, at which time the smaller structure Glenn Springs Academy, he was studying for the Holy Orders of the
became the kitchen. Approximately 225 years later George and Lee Crowe purchased the property, restored the larger Episcopal Church and began conducting services in the ballroom of the Glenn
structure, added additional living space, and restored the smaller cabin, with its original Springs hotel. On April 29,1848 a contract was made for $384 for enclosing a church
flooring, fireplaces and chimney. The old well house has a working hand-dug well and an attached potting shed. The building to be located across from the mineral spring. It would be of wood 42X23
property, now owned by Thurman and Joanne Anderson, is called Southland Farm. feet in dimension with a square bell tower. On February 20, 1850, Calvary church
was admitted into union with the convention and was consecrated on July 21, 1850.
Dr. McCullough was advanced to the order of priest and became rector of Calvary
Storey Cabin 301 Sulphur Springs Rd. 13 where he served until his death on January 26, 1902. In 1896 he designed and began
construction of the present church. It was consecrated May 9,1897. Much of his
Around 1751, Henry Storey obtained a land grant from King George III, and, with his friend James
9 McIlwayne, emigrated from Pennsylvania to the Indian frontier of the Glenn Springs area. He built this cabin craftsmanship can be seen in the beautiful wood altar, railing, pulpit and other fur-
nishings. Dr. McCullough is credited with founding all the Episcopal churches in the
just above the spring that feeds Storey Creek. His descendants, who still own the cabin and surrounding land, Calvary Episcopal Church upstate of South Carolina. He was chaplain of Holcombe's Legion out of Union
3685 Glenn Springs Rd.
restored it in 1986 and added a modern kitchen and amenities. during the War between the States. McCullough Hall was built in 1961. A three
manual Johannus organ and handcrafted cabinets were installed in 2004. The
cemetery is located at the site of the original church on Boys Home Road. Calvary is
listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built by Judge Abraham Nott circa1790 in the Cedar Grove Community of Union
County, Cedar Grove Plantation was given to his daughter Sophanisba Nott Moore.
The house was believed to have been cut in sections and moved to its present location
in 1834. Mrs. Moore's husband, Dr. Maurice Moore, was president of the joint stock
10 company that formed the Glenn Springs Company. In the 1870's the house was
purchased by the Chapman family, who accepted guests when the hotel was full. In
1978, the Boggs family purchased the home and made careful renovations, restoring
the house to its correct appearance. Today owned by the Turner family, Cedar Grove
is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cedar Grove Plantation
3550 Glenn Springs Rd.
4 5
5