Page 9 - FINAL EARLY SPRING 2019 SWHS Newsletter
P. 9
house/community hall was restructured camp and lumber mill, a boat passenger 1952 and was run by Bryan Gates (inset
into a home. and freight transportation service via photo) who was also the Postmaster.
The Spencers were an industrious boats they built called the Rover and the The post office moved to Harbor Cen-
family and the sons set about opening Ranger, and later on a machine shop. ter (now Freeland) in 1954 and then to its
various businesses in addition to the The store continued in operation until present location in 1960.
cash store and post office: a logging
Photos courtesy of Betty Cameron Discher
This 1916 photo of the Spencer family in front of their store before it was moved across the road over the water and the two-story home/
community hall was dismantled and reconstructed to a smaller home further up the bank. Left to right: Sarah and Hudson Spencer, Carrie,
Marjorie, Hugh, Arlene (Mrs. Ingvold Vik), Arthur and Ethel (Partridge) Spencer.
1917 photo after the buildings were moved. The house is still occupied, and the nearby property is now Nichols Brothers Boat Builders.
9