Page 7 - Heritage A5 compile
P. 7

attachments 6).


               By 1887 the name Innis Island had been dropped and the popular
               aboriginal name anglicised to Coochiemudlo was used. First land
               sales occurred in 1888 but in 1895 the only permanent residents on
               Coochiemudlo were Henry Wright and his teenage son Norman, who
                                     20
               eked out a living until 1900.  Norman Wright later established
               Norman Wright and Sons, a nationally regarded boat building
               company. Among the vessels the company constructed was the MV
               Miramar, which made regular tourist cruises past Coochiemudlo until
                                                      21
               its conversion to a survey vessel in World War II.   Industries which
               at the time of the Wrights’ occupancy exploited Coochiemudlo’s
               natural resources were the getting of cypress logs for wharf building
               in Brisbane, the grazing of cattle swum over from Victoria Point,
                                       22
               fishing and oyster harvesting.

               Coochiemudlo Island’s three safe beaches are the closest sandy
               beaches to the cities of Brisbane and Cleveland and have attracted
               visitors from these centres and beyond. As early as 1896 tourists
               were offered the chance to ‘get away from the muggy heat’ of
               Brisbane by sailing on the paddle steamer Natone to Coochiemudlo
               23  (see attachment 7). Boats were hired out by Tom Dixon at Victoria

               20  Jones, ‘Coochiemudlo Island in the Nineteenth Century’, p.31
               21  Coochiemudlo Island Historical Society, A Short History of Coochiemudlo
               Island http://www.coochiemudlo.net/html/history.html accessed 20 July 2017;
               ‘MV Mirimar, a part of Queensland’s history’, Mirimar Cruises
               http://www.mirimar.com/site/history/ (accessed 11 July, 2017); ‘Seeing the
               Bay, first of regular trips’, The Telegraph, 17 May, 1935, p.9. (CITY FINAL
               LAST MINUTE NEWS). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article182429451
               (accessed 5 August 2017).
               22  Jones, ‘Coochiemudlo Island in the Nineteenth Century’, pp. 28-29.
               23  ‘Excursions’ (Advertising), The Telegraph, 11 April 1896. p. 1
   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12