Page 213 - Visitor Guides
P. 213

WALKWAY ALONG PASEO COLÓN AND SABANA



                          2. La Merced Church                          4. San Juan de Dios Hospital



                          A group of neighbors in San José            The construction of San Juan de Dios
                           decided to raise a prayer chapel           Hospital took place in the second half
                           dedicated to the Virgin of Mercy           of the 19th century. Its construction
                           in 1816. The land chosen for such          was made possible by the effort of the
                           an endeavor was donated by a
                           Presbyterian, last name Chacón, and        ecclesiastical sector, the government,
                          was adjacent to the Tobacco Factory         and the great collaboration of various
                         in the center of town. It was finished in    barrios and communities within the
                       1819. In 1824, the members of the First        Central Valley. These buildings  were
                     Constitutional Congress of the Free State of     the only health center for several decades
                Costa Rica were sworn in.                             that could care for any individual in Costa Rican
         The same chapel functioned as a “political prison” for the   society. Its invaluable architectural sum is composed of several
         image of the Virgin of Los Angeles that the people of Cartago   construction techniques, like Neoclassical and Art Deco style,
         left behind in the Curridabat church after losing the League   among others.  Various outstanding Costa Rican engineers and
         War. It was Francisco Morazán who made the decision to
         return “the very noble and loyal Virgin” in 1842.            architects were involved in the construction of these buildings,
         On December 30, 1888, a violent quake shook the city         such as León Tessier, Augusto Fla-Chebba, José Francisco
         and among those buildings damaged was the La Merced          Salazar and José María Barrantes.
         church. They planned to reconstruct it, but on a bigger area
         where the city theater was.                                   5. The Costa Rican Art Museum
         The Neo-gothic star. The current design is the work of
         engineer Lesmes Jiménez Bonnefil, and architect Jaime
         Carranza. Construction began on June 17, 1894. The           This museum holds around 6,400
         temple is in Neo-gothic style. Its only central tower reflects   different pieces of art, the majority
         German Gothic influence. The paintings on the columns are    from national artists, from the 19th
         by Italian Adriano Arié and date back to 1920. The flat
         ceiling of La Merced is natural mahogany, and the mosaic     century until the present. Besides
         was made by the first mosaic factory in the country.         the expositions, it engenders critical
                                                                      thought about national art within an
                                                                      international context. The exhibition
               3. The Statue of Licenciate Braulio Carrillo Colina    layout is located in the old international
               (La Merced Park) 1800-1845
                                                                      airport built in 1940. It has galleries such
             He was a lawyer, judge, politician, and Chief of State   as the “Sculpture Gardens” and “The Golden
           (1835-1837, 1838-1842) who separated Costa Rica from       Room” where various cultural events are held and segments of the
           the Central American Federal Republic and declared         country’s history are laid out in bas-relief. The MAC supplements
           Costa Rica independent on November 15, 1841. He            these events by means of conferences open to the public.
           was named ”Benemérito de la Patria” in 1971.               Tel.: (506) 2222-7155  •  Fax: 2222-724.7 Ext. 118
                                                                      www.musarco.go.cr  •
                                                                      Hours:  Tuesdays to Fridays, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
                                                                      Saturdays and Sundays, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
                                                                      *Sundays free.

                                                                           USEFUL ADVICE!

                                                                           For complaints against tourist services,
                                                                           call 2299-5800 or at 22915762.
                                                                           E-mail: quejas@ict.go.cr


                              Ó{
   208   209   210   211   212   213   214   215   216   217   218