Page 518 - Kosovo Metohija Heritage
P. 518

 Milan ivanović and Dragan jovanović
the spring of the Smirinska river; 3. ruins of the so- called Macicka church, on the road to the village of Drenoglava. Stone slabs from some of these church- es were built in the village mosque. at the beginning of the 20th c., an old cemetery
still stood next to the village.
SMOLUŠA (Lipljan): ruins of an old
church (a village priest mentioned in
the 15th c.) and a desecrated graveyard of
the expelled Serbs, near the village.
SMREKOVNICA (in the Middle ages Smre-
kovica, Vučitrn): locality “Crkva” (Church).
SOČANICA (in the Middle ages Selčanica, Leposa-
vić): 1. church of the Beheading of St. john the Bap-
tist, erected in 1863 on the foundations of a medieval church, in the hamlet of Rakovac; 2. remains of the
church of St. Paraskeve not far from the Zeratova meadow; 3. remains of the medieval church of the Pre- sentation of the Mother of God (the Mother of God amo- lyntos) opposite the Galic fortress; 4. medieval fortress
of Galic, above the village; 5. remains of a Roman pro- vincial center (Municipium DD from the 2nd–4th c. aD). SOJEVO (in the Middle ages also Sivojevo Uroševac):
ruins of an old church formerly existed (the albanians— immigrants found it in 1750).
SOPNIĆ, SOPINIĆ (Orahovac): ruins of the church-
es of St. Helena (the Popovići mahala) and of the Holy archangels.
SOPOT (Djakovica): a 14th century source makes men-
tion of the “Gradišlaljska church,” in the vicinity of the vil- lage.
SOPOTNICA (Kačanik): until recently, the ruins of a former church and the site of an old graveyard existed (a 15th-century census makes mention of a priest and a monk).
SRBICA: cemetery and the monument to the Yugoslav fight- ers fallen in the battles in 1944–1945.
SRBOVAC (K. Mitrovica): old cemetery.
SREDSKA (Prizren): 1. remains of the church of St. Para- skeve (mentioned in a charter from 1348); 2. church of St. George with 16th-century frescos; 3. church of the Mother of God (17th c.) with frescos from 1646–1647; 4. church of St. Nicholas, erected and painted in 1875.
SRPSKI BABUŠ (in the Middle ages Bobuša, Uroševac): old graveyard.
STAGOVO (Kačanik): abandoned church, recorded in the 19th c.
STANIŠOR (Gnjilane): Stanisor church, on an elevation in the village the remains of the former village called Staro Selo situated in the plain near the village while an old church oc-
Srbica, Rudnik, Church of Saint George, 16th century
Smira: wood-carved, plated silver cross of the Metropolitan of Gracanica Nikanor (from 1551), donated to the Church of the Holy Savior in Smira
cupied the site called Crkvište (Ruins of the Church); next to the village is an old graveyard. Recently, a Byzantine vault has been
uncovered in the village.
STARI KAČANIK (Kačanik): remains of an old church (the Rečka church) in the Reč mahala.
STARI TRG (K. Mitrovica): remains of the large three- -aisled basilica (of St. Peter’s) the so-called Latin or Saxon church erected in the 13th c. in the spirit of Gothic, painted at the end of the 13th c. and the first
half of the 14th c. in the Byzantine manner. STARODVORANE, STARO DVORANE (istok): large
old cemetery, west of the village.
STARO RUJCE (Lipljan): remains of Byzantine walls and an old graveyard with the ruins of a former church. STEPANICA (Klina): in the 14th c., mention is made of the Stepanja church (unascertained) not far from the vil- lage.
STRANA (K. Mitrovica): microtoponym “Crkva” (Church). STRAŽA (Gnjilane): 1. ruins of the church of St. Nicho- las, on the site called Manastir (Monastery); 2. village
church erected on the foundations of an older church structure; 3. 20 medieval mining shafts on the Glama hill.
STRAŽA (Kačanik): ruins of a church by the destroyed Or- thodox graveyard, on the road to the village of Kotlina. STRELICA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): the village proba- bly had a church (a census from the 15th c. refers to a priest); remains of an old village, on the site called Selište. STREOVCE STROVCE (in the Middle ages Strelac Vuči- trn): until recently, the remains of the church of St. Nicholas occupied the site called Crkveni Do (Church Valley) (a church mentioned in a document from the start of the 15th c.). STREZOVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): ruins of an old church beneath the present-day cemetery (according to 15th century documents, a monastery may have existed in the vil- lage at that time).
STRUŽIJE (Prizren): locality called “Grobište” (remains of a graveyard) where an old cemetery was formerly situated. STUDENICA (istok): stone slabs and cut stones from the ruins of Studenica Hvostanska incorporated into the village mosque.
STUDENIČANE (Suva Reka): locality “Srpsko Groblje” (Ser- bian Graveyard); according to tradition, a large church for- merly existed (demolished in the 19th c. so that a mosque would be constructed on its site).
STUP (in the Middle ages St’lpezi, Klina): remains of an old and new cemetery.
SURKIŠ (Podujevo): remains of an old church on the site called Crkvište (ruins of a church).
SUŠICA (istok): according to tradition the church of St. George existed (a village priest mentioned in the census of 1485); de- molished so that a mosque would be built with its material.

   516   517   518   519   520