Page 378 - Bahrain Gov Annual Reports (III)_Neat
P. 378

88

                                      CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT
                      The Customs Department in its present form dates from about 1341 (1923) when it was
                 re-organised and put in the charge of a British Director of Customs, previously the collection of customs
                 was fanned out to local Hindu merchants, much to their advantage and to the detriment of the State's
                 finances. The customs was the first organised Government department and for some years it dealt
                 with many matters which were not strictly customs duties. At first the staff consisted mainly of
                 Indians but today the customs officials are almost all local Arabs.

                      Customs revenue is derived mainly from import duty and import yard charges, the rates of
                 duty are as follows:—
                        Upon alcoholic and tobacco products             15 % ad valorem
                         „   scheduled non-essential imports            10%    ## •
                         „  all other imported commodities               5%
                         „  re-exported commodities to Saudi ports ..    2%
                         „  transhipped commodities........................  x*%

                      Import yard charges were according to a fixed tariff based roughly on the size of the package
                  but in 1357 the rates were revised and a flat rate of 1 anna per cubic foot was levied.

                       The chief exports from Bahrain are dates, shells, skins, pearls and oil, there is no export
                  duty on oil or pearls but on other commodities an export duty is levied which amounts to approxi-
                  mately 5%.


                       Landing Company.—The agents of the British India Steam Navigation Co., hold a concession
                  from the Bahrain Government to operate a landing company which carries cargo from the steamers
                  to the pier, they charge landing fees according to a schedule authorised by the Government and in
                  return for the license they pay to the Government a royalty of 5% of the total collections. The
                  rates of landing fees have been amended from time to time and in 1364 (1945) the Government agreed
                  that the company should increase its charges by 20%.

                       Customs Buildings.—The customs pier and the import shed were built in about 1917* the
                  metal pier shed was erected in 1924 and in the following year the trolley line connecting the import
                  shed and the pier was laid down. It was not at that time as obstructive an affair as it became later
                  because what is now the customs square had not been reclaimed from the sea and the Sea Road did
                  not exist. In 1346 (1927-28) a mole and three docks were built on the east of the pier. Ten years
                  later a new Custom-house was built on the site of one of the docks, facing the sea, the mole was widened
                  and lengthened and much of the sea around the Custom-house was reclaimed. The old Custom­
                  house became the present police station with a Government Rest House on the first floor. In 1358
                   (1939-40) an important improvement was made to the pier. The original pier was 413 yards long and
                  at low tide there was not sufficient water to allow large dhows or launches to come alongside. Pas­
                  sengers had to be decanted into small skiffs from launches in order to get to the pier. An extension
                   to the pier 1240 feet long and 50 feet wide was made, the length of the whole pier then became just
                   under half a mile and the largest dhows and launches were enabled to come alongside at all states
                  of the tide which facilitated and speeded up the landing of cargo and passengers. The plans for
                   further improvements to the piers and customs buildings are dealt with under Public Works.

                        Revenue.—Until oil began to produce royalties the customs duties were almost the sole revenue
                   of the State. Between 1344 (1925-26) and 1355 (1936-37) customs receipts fluctuated between
                   Rs. 10,59,000 and Rs. 5,46,000, but during those years many improvements were introduced into the
                   country by the State such as electric power, artesian water-supplies, sea roads, schools, municipalities
                   and the beginnings of medical work among the people.
   373   374   375   376   377   378   379   380   381   382   383